Monday, April 25, 2016

Celebrate the DNA day with a PacBio Sequel LEGO model

What an exciting celebration! Since PacBio released the Sequel late last year, I have been thinking about to build a miniature model of it. Besides appreciating the new features and dramatically increased throughput, I also was intrigued by Sequel's design. It has an elegant curved front. It looks nice, but posts a great challenge to LEGO building. It is of cause the fun part for me. I have never built a curved model like it and have not seen one either. After tried a few ideas, I found that the LEGO train track pieces can provide the curvature needed. After nailed the shape challenge with the breakthrough, I was thinking to add a real moving door. To do that, the experiences of coaching a First Lego League (mdfirst.org) team came handy. I used a rack gear to make it happen. It can be seen in the work deck. The door can be operated by a handle in the back of the model. It is fun to play with. Thank you for reading and Happy DNA Day!

No comments: